Youthful-looking Body Contour
Body Lift Surgery
What is a body lift surgery?
With a surgical body lift, the volume and structure of underlying tissue that supports the skin and can be improved.
Any excess skin or fat can also be eliminated for a tighter appearance. The weight of excess skin can be significant, so a slimmer and lighter feeling is often a much-appreciated outcome. A Toronto body lift surgery aims to correct the loose, sagging skin and irregular contours of various body areas, including:
- The abdominal area, extending to the sides and lower back
- The buttocks
- The groin
- The inner and outer thighs
- The upper and under arms region
Who are good candidates for a body lift surgery?
Individuals with stable body weight that is proportionate to their height and build are typically good candidates for a body lift surgery in Toronto and Oshawa. There is no age limitation for healthy adults interested in body lifts that have realistic expectations in mind. Below are some of the characteristics that define a suitable candidate for a body lift surgery:
- Have significant amounts of loose tissue in one or multiple body areas
- Do not have any medical conditions that impede healing or increase surgical risks
- Is a non-smoker
- Maintains a positive outlook and has specific, realistic goals for body contouring
- Not planning future pregnancies (if treating the abdomen)
Customizing your body lift surgery
In Toronto and Oshawa, a body lift surgery is often customized to meet specific goals and parameters. The following physical and aesthetic conditions can be targeted for improvement with a body lift:
- Uneven or dimpled soft tissue, such as cellulite
- Stretch marks combined with lax skin
- Loose skin which created uncomfortable creases and overhang
- Excessive adipose fat tissue
- Sagging and unflattering body contour
There are a variety of causes for stretched, sagging skin and tissue excess. The most common are:
- Significant weight changes
- Extensive stress on skin and underlying tissue, resulting from pregnancy
- Natural aging processes that reduce skin tone and elasticity over time
- Damage from the sun and other environmental factors
- Genetics that determine an individual’s body type and skin quality
- Childhood or adolescence obesity that leads to premature loss of skin tone
Book A Consultation
Ready to take the plunge? Book a consultation with us.
Preparing For A Surgery
Most effective method for permanently reducing excess skin
Currently, a body lift surgery is the most effective method for permanently reducing excess skin from areas such as the arms, abdomen and thighs.
However, due to the surgical nature of a body lift, incisions are required and, in some cases, they can be extensive. The length and pattern of each incision will depend on the amount and the location of the tissue being removed, as well as surgical judgement and personal technique used by the plastic surgeon. Most of the incisions will be created as inconspicuously as possible and can be hidden within regular clothing. Your plastic surgeon will provide you with excellent incision and scar care instructions to ensure that their appearance is minimized. Keep in mind that it will take a full year or more for scars to completely mature, soften and fade. For many body lift patients, the trade off of scars for improved form and function of their body is very worthwhile.
Preparing for a body lift surgery
As you embark on your journey to self-improvement with a Toronto body lift surgery, we will carefully explain the details of your procedure and provide specific instructions so that you can be well prepared. During consultation and preoperative planning you will receive:
- Pre-surgical health assessment and discussion related to your suitability for the procedure
- Day of surgery instructions and medications
- Specific information related to anaesthesia
- Guidelines for postoperative care and recovery
- Follow up and ongoing assessment while healing
What are the potential risks associated with a body lift?
Like many other surgeries, there are possible complications that may arise. Though complications are rare in healthy, stable patients treated by qualified and experienced surgeons, general risks of a body lift surgery may include excessive bleeding, infection, fluid build-up, delayed healing, blood clots, excessive or irregular scarring and changes in skin sensation. The use of anesthesia in the procedure carries minimal risks inherent to medication administration such as adverse reactions. Our highly specialized and experienced medical team are well equipped to mitigate and act upon issues should they arise. We believe patients should receive and discuss relevant safety information related to their procedures so they feel confident and prepared.
At Avenue Plastic Surgery, our clinic is fully-accredited as a surgical facility for body lift surgeries completed under general or local anesthesia.
What happens after the surgery?
Once your procedure is complete, Dr. Golger or Dr. Romy will apply dressings to cover and protect your incisions. You may also have an elastic garment applied to certain areas to minimize swelling and support your new body shape as you heal. Your plastic surgeon will let you know when and for how long to wear your garment. Before we send you home to rest and recover, we will provide further information and instructions on how to properly care for your incisions and promote quick healing. We will discuss:
- Appropriate care for surgical sites
- Medications that need to be applied or taken orally for healing and prevention of infection
- Specific concerns to look out for
- Follow-up appointments with our enhancement team
What is the healing process like?
You may experience some discomfort in the early stages after surgery that can be well managed with prescribed medications. Shortly after waking you’ll be assisted to stand and then advised to walk regularly. At first, you will walk slowly and may need to stay slightly bent at the waist if you’ve had an abdominal lift. Regular leg movements help reduce certain complication risks, but you will need to avoid strenuous activity that increases heart rate and blood pressure for a few weeks.
For the first several days or so, avoid bending, straining or lifting objects. Depending on your procedure and the areas of treatment, we will provide you with specific instructions that are crucial to the success of your outcome. Typically, by two or three weeks, you will be able to return to your normal routine of light activity, including work. However, it is advised to avoid heavy lifting or vigorous exercise until cleared by our surgeons.
The results of a body lift surgery
Immediately following surgery, the results of your body lift will be visible. However, due to your body’s natural healing process, it could take several months until the final outcomes are fully visible. Changes in sensation or numbness over the skin will typically resolve with time. Scars will also fade, but be prepared to wait patiently for a full year as scars mature and follow your surgeon’s advice to help them look as great as possible. The outcome of your newly restored body shape can be very long-lasting if you are in general good health.
Ready for your closeup?
See your potential! Book a consultation with us.